Saturday 4 February 2012

The Alumni talk, and further research

The Alumni talk helped support and inspire me for ideas based on the commission brief. The topic focused on the genre of fashion and constructed a personal body of work about relationships and items of clothing.

The project was called : The Memory of MyWardrobe,Out of Fashion and was produced by Ida Taavitsainen.

The memory of her wardrobe is a project that she stared in her 1st year and became her final project in the 3rd year. The project i based upon the relationship between her clothes and memory, and the majority of her clothes had belonged to someone else before her, mainly family members and became interested in the stories behind the garments.

She began researching into family photographs that inspired her to decide to research more about them....


















For research she began Interviewing  the persons who’s clothes she had inherited/been given as she could get to know the stories behind the items. She was interested in the craft and environmental aspect for example ; clothes that are made to last, and still do decades later. She also was Interested in how other people have investigated the theme behind clothes& memory, and clothes & identity, as well as fast fashion and the fashion industry today.

For references she looked at Linda Grant: The Thoughtful Dresser, Justine Picardie: My Mother's Wedding Dress, Alison Laurie: The Language of Clothes, and Lucy Siegle: To Die For – Is Fashion Wearing Out the World?
  
Jeanette Montgomery Barron: MyMother’s Clothes
 
“She took such good care of her clothes: the sleeves were always stuffed with tissue appear, noting was put away without being cleaned an covered up in plastic. I know she must have been keeping them in good shape for me to have someday.”
 
Photograph a Significant Outfit

When developing further you could ask yourself…..
If these clothes could speak, what stories would they tell?
And you could explore the family history told through clothes.
Storytelling was another theme that was mentioned throughout the talk, explaining how the background and props in an image can usually have a relationship or associate towards the garments. And The text in the photo can rely on the history of the garment as well as its relationship to yourself.

“Looking at all the shoes, hats, dresses and handbags she left behind, she must have been such a glamorous women. There aren't people like her anymore. No matter how hard I try I know id never be half as glanderous.”

“This dress was my mothers first and last attempt to make her own clothes. She made it with he help of her auntie. When we were children we used to wear this when playing dress up. Unlike my mother, I love sewing. When I was 21 I cut off the hem and made myself a short summer dress out of what I always thought looked more like a nightgown”
Absent Bodies was another theme that she explored, throughout her project. The theme was more performative, sculptural, and where the garments are alive and speak in the absence of the person.
 
I really liked and was inspired by this project and liked how it reflected  Fashion as a form of art and communication.
 
Another project that I found interesting to explore was Siru Kivistö titled Layered Within. This piece of work explored the concept of dressing models in layers of clothes to express an awkward relationship, where the garment is no longer a treasured object, but a burden at the back of the wardrobe of the consumer.
Between the layers of the clothes Kivistö plays on the edges of admiration for fashion and its critique, new and old, artificial, natural, beauty and ugliness – the contradictions of fashion itself.
After viewing all themes and ideas, i was intrigued and interested to explore further .....


After our 1st commission lecture I began to look into fashion and how it can create memories? So I began to explore the book titled 'My Mother's Wedding Dress: The Fabric of Our Lives'
When researching issues of materialistic waste I found this book called 'My Mother's Wedding Dress: The Fabric of Our Lives' by Justine Picardie; it is a sort of biography based around her relationship to clothing.

 
When reading the book, I noticed a few quotes which I found interesting in relation to my theme of waste:

 
 
In one of the chapters the author explains how her mother had kept her non stereotypical wedding dress for a memory purpose. She thought she may wear it again for another event; in this case her daughter re-used the dress as her university graduation ceremony which therefore created new memories in the clothing. I found this really fascinating as I could explore how clothes can re0crete new memories from old.
 
“What became of the black dress? It has gone and disappeared, lost like my parents’ marriage, yet it lives on in my memory, and in photographs of my mother’s wedding day, and of me, when I wore it to my university graduation ceremony, a few weeks before my twenty-first birthday.”
 
 

 
 
"When I was eighteen and started to wear the dress- a narrow, corseted sheath, just above knee-length, hidden bones within its bodice and waist- I thought about my mother, and how slender she had been on her wedding day, no more than a girl herself, even though she was meant to be all grown up."
 
 
The book explains how clothes become out of fashion, the re-use & recycling of family heirlooms and clothes found in vintage & second-hand charity shops & the how you can keep memories but then can be lost through the keeping of clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment